- An elective course for juniors and seniors who have a part-time job.
- A unique program that is designed to link the school curriculum (WE class) with the world of work (your job).
- Students in the program earn high school credit by attending a weekly class that teaches job skills, habits, and attitudes conducive to employment success.
- A program that assists students to choose a career wisely, prepare for full-time employment suited to their abilities and interests, and learn to work with others in successful and rewarding ways.
A student must:
- Be a junior or senior
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA
- Have good attendance at school
- Be enrolled in four district classes
- Be employed at a worksite where at least minimum wage is paid and deductions are taken
- Covered by Workers’ Compensation by the Employer
BENEFITS OF WORK EXPERIENCE:
- A student in Work Experience can:
- Earn school credit for working.
- Earn money while learning. A WE student can work a maximum of 32 hours per week.
- Learn the knowledge, skills, work habits and attitudes necessary for successful job performance.
- Develop a sense of responsibility and self-reliance through supervised, paid employment experiences.
- Earn one unit of Shasta College credit if he/she meets the requirements
- Enroll in Outside Work Experience:
- OWE (8000) = 1 PERIOD
- OWE 2 (8005) = 2 PERIODS
- Complete the required Work Experience forms that will be given to you by your instructor.
- Attend the Work Experience class once a week and complete class assignments.
- Submit weekly time cards signed by the worksite supervisor verifying hours worked.
- Average at least 10 to 20 hours of work per week
UNITS OF INSTRUCTION:
- Labor Laws for Minors
- Occupational Safety Training
- Sexual Harassment
- Payroll Deductions and Pay Stubs
- Income Taxes
- Customer Service Skills
- Career Exploration
- Employment Skills
- Economic Awareness
- How to Properly Leave a Job
- And more…